Bael Fruit is known by many names across India such as wood apple, elephant apple, monkey fruit,Kothu and so on and in a same way it has lots of health benefits also. It is the one fruit which can be useful in treatment of many day to day health problems like constipation, tiredness, diabetes, blood purifier and lots more. It is the native of India but it is also cultivated in Sri Lanka, the northern Malay Peninsula, Java, the Philippines, and Fiji.
Bael fruit Nutrition values
Bael fruit has lots of nutritional values; it is a rich source of carbohydrates as you can get 31 Grams of carbohydrate from the 100 Gms of bael fruit pulp. It contains protein, beta-carotene, and a precursor of Vitamin A, significant quantities of the B vitamins thiamine and riboflavin, and small amounts of Vitamin C also. Moisture content in wood apple is high as it contains 64.2 per cent moisture so very good for summer season. Its calorific value is 134 and it is also rich in oxalic, malic citric acid and a concentrated tannic acid. Bael fruit leaves have some astringent and carminative properties.
Bael fruit health benefits
- Add salt and black pepper in Bael fruit pulp to increase digestion capacity.
- Feeling tired and stressed mix jaggery (gud) in bael fruit pulp and eats it to get new energy.
- You can have Bael fruit chutney or Raita (to make raita mix bael fruit pulp in curd) to enhance the progesterone hormone secretion and also help in to cure other health related problems in women.
- Feeling thirsty have Bael juice or mix honey with wood apple pulp. It also cures acidity. You can also apply this mixture on tongue to get rid from mouth ulcers too. Drink Bael juice to cut down the excess heat from body.
- To get rid of constipation and stomach pain drink Fresh Bael leaves juice mixed with sugar once or twice in a day. It is very good home remedy for stomach pain especially for kids.
- Regular consumption of wood apple is very good for health as it keep kidneys clean, keeps women away from breast cancer, gives you a healthy digestive system, purify blood, cure piles and lots of other benefits too.
- Mix Bael fruit juice with dry ginger powder and jaggery, it is a very effective home remedy to increase the milk secretion for mothers who need excess milk for their infants.
- Wood apple chutney or sherbet is very useful in treating hiccups.
- To tone up the sagging breast eat the mixture of the ripe pulp of the fruit, cardamom, honey and cumin seeds, regularly in the morning.
- There are also lots of Health Benefits of Bael leaves consumption like its fruit make bael leaves paste and apply them on the swollen area of joints or limbs to cure the swelling.
- Suffering from food allergies and itching of skin mix fresh bael leaves with ajwain seeds along with salt and eat the paste to get rid of it.
- Mix 30ml bay leaf juice with cumin (jeera) and drink this juice daily twice day, this is very good home remedy for Urticaria which is a kind of skin rash notable for pale red, raised, itchy bumps.
- Bael tree bark is also very useful you get Feronia Gum from its bark which cures diarrhea, dysentery and diabetes.
- The gum that the stem exudes has a soothing effect on the skin and mucous membranes.
- Take 100 grams of the sap of the fresh bark, 2 corns of pepper, a few drops of pure cow’s ghee and a dessert spoon of honey to get rid from any post-partum complications.
- Root of bael tree can be used to check different kinds of ear problem.
Bael fruit Medicinal Uses
It has lots of medicinal values; you can read about its medicinal values in Charaka Samhita, an Ayurvedic treatise from the 1st millennium BC. It was the first book to describe its medicinal properties. Bael fruit is considered the best natural remedy or medicine to cure diarrhea and dysentery. It is also helpful to get rid of hiccup and infections of the throat. Not only fruit other parts of Bael tree also have some medicinal properties like its leaves are aromatic and carminative and its roots are helpful in treatment of ear related problems and cure malaria also. You can apply bael fruit pulp onto bites and stings of venomous insects it work as an antidote and cut the poisonous effect. You can use bael Leaves, bark, roots and fruit pulp against snakebite also. Bael fruit seed oil is purgative (Strongly laxative in effect).
Bael fruit Spiritual value
Bael fruit has lots of spiritual value in India. Bael leave are offered to Lord Shiva to get his blessing especially on Shivaratri. Due to its religious believe Bael trees are so commonly found near the Indian temples. Hindus also believe that ghosts live on bael trees. They also associate Bael tree leaves to goddess Lakshmi.
Bael fruit Regional & International names
- English: Wood Apple, Elephant Apple, Monkey Fruit or Curd Fruit
- Odia: Kaitha
- Kannada: Belada Hannu / Byalada Hannu
- Telugu: Vellaga Pandu
- Tamil: Vilam Palam
- Bengali: Koth Bel
- Hindi: Kaitha
- Gujarati: Kothu
- Sinhalese: Divul
- Marathi: KavaTH
- Javanese: Kawis or Kawista
- Sanskrit: Kapittha
Bael fruit recipes