Chicken curry and rice is a comfort food for me especially when chicken curry is cooked in traditional village style which remembers me my childhood memories. You can cook many variants of chicken curry butter chicken, kadhai chicken, chicken tikka masala, chicken korma each dish has its own taste and texture. Chicken curry is one of the must-have chicken recipe on an Indian dinner party menu. Here we are with Indian chicken curry recipe prepared in village style with minimum ingredients keeping chicken as star of the recipe.
You can use boneless or with bone chicken to make chicken curry. I am using with bone chicken as it will enhance the taste and texture. Serve this delicious chicken curry with steamed rice or Roti. Learn how to make chicken curry recipe in village style.
Chicken curry recipe ingredients
Ingredients for Chicken Marinade
• With Bone Chicken- 500 Gms
• Ginger garlic paste- 2 tablespoon
• Turmeric powder- 1 teaspoon
• Red chilli powder to taste
• Salt to taste
Ingredients for spicy chicken curry
• Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
• Coriander seeds- 1 teaspoon
• Kashmiri dry red chilies- 4 to 5
• Black peppercorns- 5 to 8
• Cloves – 3 to 5
• Cinnamon stick- 1/2 inch
• Green chilies to taste
• Mustard oil or any vegetable oil- 2 tablespoon
• Chopped onion – 1 large
• Water as required
How to make Chicken curry recipe in village style
• First prepare marinade for chicken by mixing ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, salt, and red chili powder to taste. Apply the marinade on chicken pieces evenly and set aside for minimum 20 to 30 minutes. Keeping it long in freeze will enhance the taste.
• To make your curry paste/powder, heat the cast iron pan or skillet and toast all the ingredients Cumin seeds, Coriander seeds, dry red chilies, peppercorn, laung, cinnamon stick until they release their aroma which takes only 15 to 20 seconds, only. Keep stirring constantly so they don’t burn. Once the spices get cool grind them to make powder. You can also add desiccated coconut (1 to 2 tablespoon) in your spice powder.
• Heat oil in heavy bottomed pan. Add chopped green chilies and chopped onions cook until soft but not brown. Add the spice powder and keep stirring until fragrant and start leaving oil and floats on top.
• Add the marinated chicken pieces and mix well so all the pieces coated in the spice mix well. Add water to the curry for more gravy. Season with salt and cover the pan. Cook on the medium heat about 15 minutes, until chicken become soft and tender. Once done switch off the flame.
• Stir and serve hot with steamed white/brown rice.