Dahi Bhalla a very famous Indian street food recipe is one of my favorite chaat recipe. Every state has its own version of Dahi Bhalla but I like Delhi chaat most especially Purani Dilli chaat. Here I am with Dahi Bhalla recipe, fried lentil balls served with yogurt and delicious chutneys. I usually make Dahi Bhalla Chaat for holi celebration and all my guests love it the most. Learn how to make Dahi Bhalla recipe.
Dahi Bhalla recipe ingredients
- Split black gram skinless (dhuli urad dal) – 2 cups
- Raisins (Kishmish) – 20 to 30
- Red chilli powder- 2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida- A pinch
- Salt to taste
- Yogurt- 6 to 7 cups
- Rock salt (Sendha namak)- 1 tablespoon
- Roasted cumin powder-2 tablespoon
- Ginger cut into thin strips for garnishing (optional)
- Chopped Green chilli for garnishing(optional)
- Oil for deep frying
- Mint chutney as required
- Sweet and sour tamarind chutney as required
How to make Dahi bhalla chaat
- Soak Urad dal in water for overnight or for 5 to 6 hours. Drain the water and grind soaked dal to make smooth paste.
- Mix Raisins (Kishmish), Asafoetida, salt, red chilli powder in the paste and mix well.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai. Drop batter in tablespoonfuls in it and fry until light golden.
- Soak the fried bhallas or vadas in water for 3 to 4 minutes, so that bhalla turn soft and spongy.
- Beat the yogurt to get smooth consistency
- Remove bhallas or vadas from the water and squeeze between your palms to drain out water.
- In a serving plate place bhallas and pour some beaten dahi (yogurt) on them. Sprinkle Roasted cumin powder and black salt powder on bhallas
- Add mint chutney and Sweet and sour tamarind chutney to enhance the taste.
- Garnish with chopped ginger and green chillies and serve as soon as possible.