Summers are here making everyone suffering from scorching heat and hot winds making us want to sip on some cooling and hydrating drinks. And, nothing can be better than kokum sharbat to beat the heat which is not just taste good but also has many health benefits. Kokum fruit belongs to Mangosteen family have lots of culinary and medicinal uses. Kokum fruit is dark purple coloured fruit known to reduce body heat, making you feel cool and fresh. The fruit season lasts through March, April and May. Here we are with Kokum sharbat recipe that help you to make delicious and healthy Kokum sharbat at home.
Kokum is easily available in the market, you can make kokum sharbat at the home easily without any preservative or additives instead of buying it from market. Learn How to Make Quick Kokum Sharbat At Home. One can easily buy fresh kokum from Goa but not available in other parts of India easily, so use dried kokum, powdered kokum or kokum syrup to make sharbat at home.
Kokum Sharbat recipe ingredients
• Dry kokum- 200gms
• Water- 4 cups
• Sugar to taste
• Roasted cumin powder- 2 teaspoon
• Black salt to taste
• Salt to taste
How to make Kokum Sharbat
• Soak the dry kokum in 4 cups of water for at least 2 hours. After 2 hours mash the kokum pieces nicely and strain the water. Keep the water aside for further use.
• In a pan, add mashed Kokum, sugar, roasted cumin powder, black salt and regular table salt. Cook on low flame for 10-12 minutes until sugar melts.
• Add the Kokum water in cooked kokum and spices. Boil the mixture and cook for another 5 minutes.
• Switch off the flame and let the mixture cool. Strain the mixture and store in a glass bottle in refrigerator.
• Take 3 tablespoon of Kokum concentrate in water, chilled water and some ice cubes if required.
• Serve chilled.
Health benefits of Kokum
• Kokum has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-oxidant properties so very good for overall health.
• Kokum stimulates appetite and improves digestion.
• Kokum anti-ageing properties can keep your skin glowing and wrinkle free.
• It reduces the body heat and keep you cool during summers.