Anokhi Kheer is really an unusual recipe that was made out of onions a traditional Kheer recipe from Nizam’s time which is now lost somewhere but believe us it is a delicious Kheer recipe easy to make and taste heavenly. Onion Kheer was considered as a common man dessert made by combining onions, sugar and milk. Many of us think that it take lots of time to cook some unusual recipes but Onion Kheer do not require much time to cook. Here we are with Onion Kheer recipe an unusual Kheer recipe.
Onion Kheer justify its traditional name Anokhi Kheer as we all use onions only for savory dishes and never thought that it can be used to make desserts. Learn How to make onion Kheer?
Onion Kheer recipe ingredients
• Onions (White or Pink) – 500 gram
• Ghee- 2 tablespoon
• Sugar – 1 cup or to taste
• Milk- 1 liter
• Chopped nuts of your choice (almonds, pistachio, Cashew nuts) – 100 gram
• Grated Khoya- 150 gram
How to make Onion Kheer recipe
• To make Onion Kheer first we have to remove the smell and pungent taste of the onions. Chop the onions roughly and blanch in enough water two three times so that sweetness of onions comes out and raw small and taste went off. Once done drain the excess water and squeeze the onions lightly between your palms to remove moisture completely.
• Heat ghee in a nonstick pan. Add blanched onions and sauté on medium flame till onions turn light brown in color.
• Add sugar in sautéed onions and cook till sugar dissolves and mix with onions.
• Add milk and simmer on medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes or till it thickens.
• Add grated khoya or mawa, cook for more 5 minutes or till you get right consistency. Once done switch of the flame.
• Garnish with chopped nuts (you can roast the nuts to enhance the taste) and serve hot Onion Kheer. You can also serve it cold but I like it hot.
We use white onions to make Onion Kheer recipe as they are less pungent you can use the pink one also. Do not use red onions also called masala onions as these are very pungent and can ruin the taste of your dessert.