When it comes to Christmas celebration nothing can replace a classic plum cake traditionally made on this occasion. The traditional Christmas plum cake loaded with dried fruits and spices is usually ate on Christmas Eve. Plum cake tends to be drier and boasts of a much longer shelf life.
It might be an oddity but the plum cake has never been made with fresh plums as in 17 century, plums referred to raisins and prunes and hence the cake gets its name plum cake. In traditional Christmas Plum Cake recipe dry fruits and nuts remain soaked in brandy or rum for 3 weeks or at least soak it for a minimum of 1 week to get the real taste of plum cake but if you did not prepare it in advance than here we are with how to make one in the comfort of your kitchen.
These days one can easily buy the Christmas cake from bakery but if you want to bake a plum cake in time for Christmas, try this easy Christmas plum cake recipe though you still need to soak the Christmas mix for a day at least to get that authentic taste.
Christmas plum cake recipe ingredients
• Chopped Mix Dry fruits and nuts- 500gms (Seedless Dates, Cherries, Tutti frutti, Black raisins, Almonds, Walnuts and Cashew nuts)
• Mixed spices in powdered form 40 grams (cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves)
• Orange peel- ½ tablespoon
• Butter- 250 Grams
• Eggs- 4
• Icing sugar or powdered sugar- 200 grams
• All-purpose flour or Maida – 200 grams
• Baking powder- 2 teaspoon
• Vanilla essence- 2 teaspoon
• Good quality Rum or brandy- 200ml
• Orange juice- 120 ml
How to make quick and easy Christmas plum cake recipe
• To prepare Christmas mixture, take a glass jar, add chopped dried fruits, rum or brandy and orange juice, mix well and close the jar. Leave the mixture for at least 24 hours. You can adjust the alcohol content based on your preference.
• In a deep bowl beat butter and sugar for 10 to 12 minutes or until turns fluffy.
• Add the eggs one by one and vanilla essence, mix gently for 1 minute.
• Sieve the flour and baking powder in butter mixture, add Christmas mixture and mix well with light hands.
• Grease the ring mould with butter generously, add the mixture, and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degree C for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top turns a dark brown. To check insert a skewer or toothpick into the cake if comes out clean means your cake is ready.
• Remove the cake from ring mould, dust the cake with icing sugar and serve delicious plum cake on Christmas Eve or whenever you like to have it.
You can adjust the quantity and variety of nuts according to your taste preference, like I do not like to eat walnut much so I increase the number of cashew nuts, you can also have your own preferred Christmas cake mix.