Kadhi has many versions but my favourite one is Rajasthani Kadhi tempered with Mustard Seeds, Methi Dana and some more aromatic spices. Learn how to make authentic Rajasthani Kadhi recipe at home. You can use beaten curd also to make Kadhi but I prefer to use buttermilk as it gives a smooth consistency to my recipe.
How Rajasthani kadhi is different from Punjabi Kadhi? There is one basic difference between both versions, Punjabi Kadhi has Pakoras in it and Rajasthani Kadhi is just got its flavour from spices and garlic. Here we are with delicious Rajasthani Kadhi recipe can be served with steamed rice, moong dal khichdi and even with Kachori, a poplar breakfast recipe in Rajasthan in which kadhi is served over the Kachori garnished with chopped green chilies and ginger.
Rajasthani Kadhi recipe Ingredients
• Buttermilk/Sour Yogurt/Curd/Dahi- 250 grams
• Gram flour/Besan- 40 grams
• Turmeric powder- ½ teaspoon
• Cooking oil/desi ghee- 3 tablespoon
• Asafoetida/Heeng- ½ teaspoon
• Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
• Dry red chilies- 2
• Chopped garlic- ½ tablespoon
• Chopped onion- 1 tablespoon
• Salt to taste
• Red chili powder to taste
• Curry leaves/Kadi patta- 8 to 10
• Chopped coriander for garnishing
How to make Authentic Rajasthani Kadhi
• In a mixing bowl, mix buttermilk and besan making sure there should be no lumps. Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder and water a little at a time, mix again to get runny consistency. You can adjust the quantity of water as the mixture should be runny not thick.
• Take out the mixture in a Add ghee heavy bottom pan heat, add buttermilk mixture and let it to cook on medium flame until it get boil, stirring continually to avoid curdling of yogurt/buttermilk. Once the boil comes, simmer the heat and let it cook for 15 to 20 minutes until it gets thicker, stirring occasionally.
• To prepare tempering for Kadhi, heat ghee in a pan add Heeng and mustard seed let the seeds crackle, add curry leaves, chopped garlic and onion sauté until get cooked and raw smell of onion get off. Add dry red chilies, sauté for few seconds.
• Pour the tempering over cooked Kadhi, add chopped coriander, mix well and serve hot with a bowl of steam rice.