Curd rice a comfort food for me, when I want to have something quick and light curd rice is my favorite one. People in South India eat curd rice after meal to digest their food like we have sweets in North India. Here I am with simple curd rice recipe flavored with some of my favorite ingredients and tempered with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
Curd rice is a one pot dish easy to prepare and taste great. It is an excellent recipe to have during summer as curd helps to reduce the body temperature and keep our system cool. Summer is the time when we have to increase the intake of yogurt based side dishes like cucumber raita, mixed vegetable raita and many more to serve with meals to balance the heat. So here I am with another curd based traditional recipe popularly known as Thayir Sadam in South India where Thayir means curd and sadam is rice.
Curd rice recipe or dahi chawal is very simple and quick to make. You can use leftover rice also to make the recipe like I do. As we all know rice is the staple food of South India they serve mainly four varieties of rice sambar rice, rasam rice, lemon rice and curd rice. I hope you will try the Curd Rice recipe for sure and if like then please share your comments. Learn how to make How to Make Curd Rice in south Indian style.
Curd rice recipe ingredients
• Rice- 1 cup
• Curd- 2 cups
• Salt to taste
• Coconut oil or any other cooking oil- 1 tablespoon
• Mustard seeds (Rai)- 2 teaspoon
• Finely Chopped Green chilies- 1
• Finely chopped onion (optional)- 1 tablespoon
• Urad dal – 1 1/2 tablespoon
• Dry red chilies- 1 or 2
• Curry leaves- 10 to 12
How to Make Curd Rice recipe
• To make curd rice first wash the rice thoroughly in water 4 to 5 times and soak for 10 to 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, add soaked rice (drain the water), salt to taste and water (3 cups for 1 cup rice) in a pan. Cover the pan with lid or plate and cook the rice for on medium flame till rice cooked perfectly (slightly overcooked and mushy will be good).
• Let the rice to cool down completely, take the boiled rice in a big mixing bowl and add yogurt. Mix well to combine all ingredients.
• To make curd rice tempering- Heat oil in pan, add mustard seeds, white lentil (urad dal) and dry red chilies, sauté for few seconds and let the dal turns golden in color. Add chopped green chilies, chopped onion and curry leaves (kadi patta), sauté for three to four minutes or till onion get cooked.
• Pour the tadka on curd rice and mix it well.
• Serve delicious Curd rice with pickle, papad or just eat it alone.
Useful tips for Curd Rice recipe
• Curd can turn sour after sometime so if you are making Curd rice recipe for lunch box or to use after some time than its good to add some milk or fresh cream in it to avoid the sourness.
• Before adding curd to the boiled rice, make sure rice get completely cool down otherwise curd will leave the water and does not taste good at all.
• To give a twist to traditional curd rice recipe add some seasonal fruit like strawberry, mango, pomegranate etc. just before serving.